Videos
|
Odisha

Online Cabs / 'We Are Not Goons': Smart City Online Taxi Association Chief Apologises for Master Canteen Violence

Patit Mandal
Browse all articles by Patit Mandal
·1 hour ago·4 min read
'We Are Not Goons': Smart City Online Taxi Association Chief Apologises for Master Canteen Violence
Online Taxi Union Chief Apologises to Public Over Violence; Appeals for Release of Seized Vehicles

Key Points

Smart City Online Taxi Association chief Dinabandhu Nayak tendered an unconditional apology to the public over the August 19 violence at Master Canteen Square and said the association would not hold such protests in future.
Bhubaneswar, Aug 21: Smart City Online Taxi Association chief Dinabandhu Nayak on Friday tendered an unconditional apology to the public over the violence during a protest at Master Canteen Square and said the association would not hold such protests in future.

Nayak also denied allegations that the protest was politically backed or funded, saying the participants were daily-wage drivers fighting for better fares and a higher share of earnings.

“I seek an unconditional apology to the public for the commotion on August 19 at Master Canteen. There is a chatter that our protest was fuelled and supported by politics and we had political funding. But I want to clarify that we did not have any political backing. We are poor daily-wage drivers,” Nayak said.

Drivers Seek Fare Revision
Nayak said the issue of fare revision and auto-rickshaw drivers' earnings had been pending since 2019-20.

“The big three companies always compete with each other to grab more customers by luring them with cheaper fares. However, in this tug of war, we drivers often bear the loss,” he said.

He said cab and auto-rickshaw drivers had repeatedly demanded that taxi aggregators revise fares and increase the drivers' share of earnings.

“We have been in touch with the government to update the fares. But nothing was ever paid heed,” Nayak said.

Also Read‘What Auto Drivers Did At Master Canteen Was Inhuman’: Odisha Minister Warns Of Strict Action

Denies Political Backing
Nayak rejected allegations that political leaders had mobilised or funded the protesters.

“As far as our political leaning is concerned, the protesters are not driven by any political figure. Nobody mobilised us,” he said.

Nayak added that he admired and respected Former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Odisha Chief Minister Mohan Charan Majhi and former Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.

Says Drivers Are Not 'Goons'
Reacting to the police response to the violence, Nayak said he did not want to blame anyone but objected to the characterisation of protesters as "goons".

“I am not blaming anybody. However, the statement by DCP Meena hurt me. He said that we are goons. I want to politely tell him that, sir, we are not goons. Yes, we made a mistake, but we are not criminals,” he said.

Nayak also sought to explain the circumstances surrounding the disturbance. He said some members had taken him away from the protest site for his safety, and his brief absence led some protesters to believe that he had been detained.

“I was taken away by some of our members from the protest site at Master Canteen for my safety. Due to my absence for a brief period, many of our members thought that I was detained and that rumour led to the disturbance,” he said.

Also ReadSTA Clarifies Online-Offline Cab Rules, Begins Action Against Vehicles Linked To Violence At Master Canteen

Appeals for Release of Vehicles
Nayak appealed to the authorities not to seize the vehicles of drivers involved in the protest, saying they were the source of their livelihood.

“I request the authorities not to seize the 400 vehicles. It is about their livelihood. We will try our best to bail out the 113 members arrested in the protest. I request the government to release the vehicles,” he said.

The comments came after the protest at Master Canteen Square turned violent on Wednesday, with more than 20 police personnel injured and several public transport buses damaged in stone-pelting.

Police said 113 people were arrested and produced in court, while another 60 were released on good-behaviour notices. Nearly 400 vehicles were also seized in connection with the incident.
Argus News App

📱 Get Argus News App

📰 60 Word News🎬 Argus Podcast📺 Live TV and Breaking News🔔 Free Notification Alerts
Download Free: