Transport / STA Clarifies Online-Offline Cab Rules, Begins Action Against Vehicles Linked To Violence At Master Canteen
·1 hour ago·3 min read

Key Points
The STA initiated action against vehicles involved in Wednesday's violent auto-cab protest at Master Canteen Square; permits of seized vehicles are being examined for cancellation.
Bhubaneswar, Aug 20: The State Transport Authority (STA) has initiated action against vehicles involved in Wednesday's violent protest by online auto and cab drivers in Bhubaneswar, Additional Commissioner Transport (Road Safety) Dipti Ranjan Patra said on Thursday.
Patra said as many as 400 vehicles had been seized in connection with the unrest at Master Canteen Square, while action under the Motor Vehicles Act was being initiated against vehicles found violating the law.
“Action is being taken over violations of the Motor Vehicles Act. Some of the seized vehicles did not have insurance or permits. Notices are being served to them and challans will be issued to the vehicle owners as per the law,” Patra said.
He said the permits of vehicles seized from the PMG area were also being examined for cancellation. Notices would be issued through police to the concerned vehicle owners, including those arrested in connection with the protest.
The concerned persons have been directed to submit their responses by August 24 and August 26, failing which their permits could be cancelled, Patra said.
Govt Does Not Mandate Online Operations
Clarifying the government's position on online and offline auto-rickshaw operations, Patra said the government does not force drivers to operate in either mode.
“The government does not force anyone to operate vehicles in online or offline mode. The aggregator policy has been in force in the state since 2023,” he said.
Under the policy, companies operating as aggregators cannot charge passengers more than the fare fixed by the government, Patra said.
He said government-fixed fares had been in place since 2008 and a review of the fare structure was scheduled for next Monday.
“A proposal to increase the fare is with the technical team, and a discussion was scheduled for Monday. But before that, this kind of disruption has taken place,” Patra said.
Also Read: Master Canteen Violence: 113 Arrested, 354 Vehicles Seized after Online Auto and Cab Drivers Clash with Police
25,000 Autos Registered In Bhubaneswar
Patra said around 25,000 auto-rickshaws are registered to operate in the capital. Of these, 15,000 operate in offline mode, while 10,000 are registered under online aggregator platforms.
Around 10,000 taxis are also registered in Bhubaneswar, including 2,000 operating online and 8,000 offline, he said.
The Transport Department has permitted 600 motorcycles to operate on online platforms, while the STA has information about around 4,000 motorcycles allegedly operating illegally through online platforms.
Offline Autos, Government Buses Continue
Patra said offline auto services continue to operate despite the disruption to online auto operations. Government-run bus services are also operational, he said.
The comments came after a protest by online auto and cab drivers at Master Canteen Square on Wednesday turned violent. According to officials, more than 20 police personnel were injured and several public transport buses were damaged during stone-pelting.
Police said 113 people were arrested and produced in court, while another 60 were released on good-behaviour notices. A total of 354 vehicles were also seized in connection with the incident.
Patra said as many as 400 vehicles had been seized in connection with the unrest at Master Canteen Square, while action under the Motor Vehicles Act was being initiated against vehicles found violating the law.
“Action is being taken over violations of the Motor Vehicles Act. Some of the seized vehicles did not have insurance or permits. Notices are being served to them and challans will be issued to the vehicle owners as per the law,” Patra said.
He said the permits of vehicles seized from the PMG area were also being examined for cancellation. Notices would be issued through police to the concerned vehicle owners, including those arrested in connection with the protest.
The concerned persons have been directed to submit their responses by August 24 and August 26, failing which their permits could be cancelled, Patra said.
Govt Does Not Mandate Online Operations
Clarifying the government's position on online and offline auto-rickshaw operations, Patra said the government does not force drivers to operate in either mode.
“The government does not force anyone to operate vehicles in online or offline mode. The aggregator policy has been in force in the state since 2023,” he said.
Under the policy, companies operating as aggregators cannot charge passengers more than the fare fixed by the government, Patra said.
He said government-fixed fares had been in place since 2008 and a review of the fare structure was scheduled for next Monday.
“A proposal to increase the fare is with the technical team, and a discussion was scheduled for Monday. But before that, this kind of disruption has taken place,” Patra said.
Also Read: Master Canteen Violence: 113 Arrested, 354 Vehicles Seized after Online Auto and Cab Drivers Clash with Police
25,000 Autos Registered In Bhubaneswar
Patra said around 25,000 auto-rickshaws are registered to operate in the capital. Of these, 15,000 operate in offline mode, while 10,000 are registered under online aggregator platforms.
Around 10,000 taxis are also registered in Bhubaneswar, including 2,000 operating online and 8,000 offline, he said.
The Transport Department has permitted 600 motorcycles to operate on online platforms, while the STA has information about around 4,000 motorcycles allegedly operating illegally through online platforms.
Offline Autos, Government Buses Continue
Patra said offline auto services continue to operate despite the disruption to online auto operations. Government-run bus services are also operational, he said.
The comments came after a protest by online auto and cab drivers at Master Canteen Square on Wednesday turned violent. According to officials, more than 20 police personnel were injured and several public transport buses were damaged during stone-pelting.
Police said 113 people were arrested and produced in court, while another 60 were released on good-behaviour notices. A total of 354 vehicles were also seized in connection with the incident.
📱 Get Argus News App
✨📰 60 Word News🎬 Argus Podcast📺 Live TV and Breaking News🔔 Free Notification Alerts
Download Free:
Related Topics
Explore more stories