Videos
|
Odisha

Eviction Drive / Man Dies After Eviction Drive in Dhenkanal; Locals Block NH-55, Demand Compensation

Patit Mandal
Browse all articles by Patit Mandal
·1 hour ago·3 min read
Man Dies After Eviction Drive in Dhenkanal; Locals Block NH-55, Demand Compensation
Tension in Dhenkanal After Youth's Death Amid Eviction; NH-55 Blocked

Key Points

A 22-year-old man, Rabinarayan Panda, died following an eviction drive in Dhenkanal's Kutunia Nuasahi; locals blocked NH-55 with his body, demanding compensation, permanent homestead land rights and compensation for demolished houses.
Dhenkanal, Aug 22: Tension prevailed in Dhenkanal city after a 22-year-old man died following an eviction drive at Kutunia Nuasahi area, with locals blocking NH-55 at Kantanali bypass with his body on Saturday, demanding compensation for his family, permanent homestead land rights and compensation for houses demolished during the drive.

The deceased was identified as Rabinarayan Panda, a resident of Kutunia Nuasahi.

Locals alleged that Rabinarayan died by suicide after losing his mental balance following the eviction drive. However, the circumstances surrounding his death are under investigation.

According to a source, the blockade disrupted vehicular movement on the national highway for some time. Tension also escalated as police attempted to clear the road, leading to a brief scuffle between protesters and personnel.

Administration Assures Re-Enquiry
Local Tehsildar Swadhin Behera described the incident as tragic and said the protesters had initially blocked the NH following the youth’s death.

"It is a very tragic incident. A 22-year-old man has committed suicide. Following his death, chaos erupted for a brief period on the NH. However, we had a discussion with the aggrieved protesters and they are now clearing the NH," Behera said.

Addressing the protesters' demands, the Tehsildar said some residents claimed they had been wrongly included in the eviction list and had sought a re-enquiry.

"Some of the protesters demanded that they were wrongfully added to the eviction list and hence urged for a re-enquiry, which we will do as per the Orissa High Court's direction," Behera said.

Family Seeks Compensation
The deceased's family has lodged an FIR and will submit a written application seeking compensation to the District Magistrate, Behera said.


"The family members of the victim have lodged an FIR and demanded compensation. For compensation, they have to apply in writing to the District Magistrate. It will be given as per the existing rules," he said.

The protesters also demanded permanent homestead land pattas for residents of the settlement and compensation for houses allegedly demolished during the eviction drive. The administration assured the protesters that their demands would be considered after they submit a written complaint to the District Magistrate.

The blockade was eventually withdrawn after the Red Cross assured the deceased's family of Rs 10,000 in assistance for the last rites.

Also ReadBDA Reclaims Two Acres of Encroached Government Land in Shampur, Demolishes 58 Illegal Structures

If you or someone you know is struggling with emotional distress or suicidal thoughts, help is available:

Tele-MANAS (National Tele Mental Health Programme): Dial 14416 or 1-800-89-14416 (available 24×7)
TISS iCALL: 022-25521111 (Monday to Saturday, 8 am to 10 pm)

If you or someone you know needs support, please reach out to a qualified mental health professional or contact one of the above helplines.

Argus News App

📱 Get Argus News App

📰 60 Word News🎬 Argus Podcast📺 Live TV and Breaking News🔔 Free Notification Alerts
Download Free: